Why Illustration Technique is Important
- As a commercial photographer, our illustrations have an impact far greater than you may realize. Your pictures are crucial to business. An effective photograph can make you crave a particular food or yearn for a coat because the model looks fabulous and you want to look the same way. (Remind you of the socialization project??) Photographers help determine the cars people drive, the luggage picked out for that perfect vacation, or even the salt and pepper shakers on the table. Photographers can entice, enchant, delight, excite, amaze, and, above all, persuade an undecided viewer.
- Billions of dollars worth of products are sold each year because of the way people react to effective photographs. Your work could be a major factor in influencing the products people buy or at least pay attention to.
1. Group Highlight and Read Along Activity:
Need more challenge or just want to understand even more of this cool info?
Here's a more in depth read for you -
- Rule of Thirds visual examples (click HERE to read more)
- Golden Section visual examples (click HERE to read more)
- Diagonals visual examples (click HERE to read more)
- Radial Balance visual examples (click HERE to read more)
3. Obseve and recognize examples of these rules in the following Ted Talks:
Jonathan Klein: Photos that Changed the World
Jonathan Klein runs Getty Images, a stock photo agency whose vast archive of still photography and illustrations is a mainstay of the creative class.Why you should watch this Video - Even if you're an infrequent (or less sporty) user of the World Wide Web, chances are the last time you logged on -- perhaps on the very last page you visited -- you've come across an image sourced from stock photo agency Getty Images. Photos and illustrations from Getty can be found everywhere, for just about every purpose you can imagine. It shouldn't surprise you that Getty began in the Internet age, leaving print-era agencies in the dust by using Internet and CD-ROM distribution since day one.
What others say "Images have provoked reactions in people, and those reactions have caused change to happen.” — Jonathan Klein
Connect that to: Blackfish Documentary trailer
Louie Schwartzberg: Hidden Miracles of the Unseen World & Nature. Beauty. Gratitude
Louie Schwartzberg is a cinematographer, director and producer who captures breathtaking images that celebrate life — revealing connections, universal rhythms, patterns and beauty.
For Schwartzberg, the greatest satisfaction is creating works that can have a positive effect on the future of the planet. “I hope my films inspire and open people’s hearts. Beauty is nature’s tool for survival – you protect what you love. If I can move enough people on an emotional level, I hope we can achieve the shift in consciousness we need to sustain and celebrate life.”
Filmmaking Composition Rules:
Camera Framing, Angles, Zooming, and Panning that lens
GROUP Lecture: Define and Illustrate Visual examples of the terms listed covered in the Video Lecture
Continuing on with Content and Filmmaking Skills...
- Filmmaking Composition & Camera Angles: With your partner(s) please take the following notes in your Project Packet or on a Google Doc in the Space Settlement Project folder on the Google Drive while watching this informational Youtube Video. If you finish before the end of class, please use your phone or classroom camera to practice these new skills.
*Watch video from youtube window for better quality and suggestions to other related videos.
Required "barebones" Notes Below:
Let's put all that information together
AFTER this Video:
- Take a video of each example from yesterday's notes
- Create a "COMPOSITION & FRAMING Practice" folder in your "Space Settlement" folder on the Google Drive File Stream
- Import those photos into that folder for a quick critique on what to aviod when you do this for the actual project
- On the Internet, log into your google account and share that new "COMPOSITION & FRAMING Practice" folder with your group members in case you are absent when we critique these.
...Already know ALL of this information?
- Take one of the following quizzes linked below to find your area of growth for filmmaking.
- Look at your lowest scores, pick that area of interest to research on your own.
- Send me your results
- Watch videos and take notes for credit. Learn young grasshopper. Learn.